Linksammlung: Datensicherheit, soziale Netzwerke und sicheres Mailing
Recherche. [Ein Versuch, Tabs zu minimieren und Gedanken zu ordnen.]
What is the problem, exactly?
Decentralized Social Networks: Federation vs. Distribution
Solution: peer-to-peer (P2P) networks with all the social functions
- Idea as I understood it: An open framework using open protocols to distribute encrypted parts of shared data on multiple devices of connected people who know each other; arbitrary applications can use these frameworks to decrypt the data only on the users device to display and interact with them without constraints and freely extendable
- GNUnet – a framework for decentralized, peer-to-peer networking
- Secure Share – an end-to-end encryption framework using GNUnet and PSYC, Feature Comparison with Friendica and Facebook
- RetroShare providing filesharing, chat, messages, forums and channels – installation under Ubuntu [Quelle]:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:csoler-users/retroshare-snapshots
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install retroshare
- What else? No system already got all the features federated services like Friendica provide.
Who else is dedicated (highly incomplete, as I said: reducing open tabs)
- Usage of a service that stores only encrypted mails.
- Lavabit: Enhanced account ($8 / year) – mail storage is asymmetrically encrypted (details)
- Using a home server with software that encrypts mails
Encrypting data on a home server (Ubuntu)
Possible steps to enhance personal privacy
- Always think twice
- Use the Facebook Logout function
- Refuse to use Facebook for private messaging
- Find or create alternative systems to migrate from Google Services by keeping most of the functionality you use
- Use or help to create an alternative social network system to Facebook
- Give it a try.
Comments and hints are highly appreciated.